The Colegio del Cardenal was begun in 1593 under the patronage of cardinal don Rodrigo de Castro, following an architectural layout influenced by the monastery of El Escorial.
The construction process suffers from multiple incidents.
The sacristy was begun in 1699. It is a rectangular room completely built in granite stone and covered by a two-bay barrel vault with lunettes. The deformation of the vault is remarkable.
The study begins with a metric survey of the deformed state of the vault and of its quartering. A visual analysis of the joints let us pose a hypothesis of the position of the hinges. Thus, vertical and horizontal displacements can be related. This way it has been possible to infer the initial non-deformed shape of the vault.
Guerra Pestonit, Rosa Ana. 2009. "La antigua sacristía del Colegio del Cardenal de Monforte de Lemos: estudio geométrico de una bóveda muy deformada." In Actas del Sexto Congreso Nacional de Historia de la Construcción. Valencia, 21-24 de octubre de 2009, edited by Santiago Huerta, Rafael Marín, Rafael Soler and Arturo Zaragozá, 693-700. Madrid: Instituto Juan de Herrera.